Welcome to the first instalments of ALOÉ Eats – A brand new weekly segment we’re introducing to the blog, a little something special we have been working on with our clever friend Sam from The Core!
The Core serves as a health, lifestyle and wellness platform, combining their motive for a “Wholesome, Healthy, Lifestyle” with nutritious plant based recipes, lifestyle blog, as well as practical cooking classes and catering.
“I created this space to share my own knowledge and experiences with those who are wanting to connect back to the simplicities of life, by caring for ourselves in the most nourishing of forms.” – Sam
To kick things off we would like to introduce to you the most DELICIOUS breakfast in a cup.
Coconut Oats with Cranberry, Apple and Rhubarb Compote
Accompanied by our ‘Cool, calm and collected’ infused water… ARE YOU KIDDING!
Some insane health benefits about this little miracle before we delve into Sam’s recipe of goodness:
- Digestion Digestion Digestion! Good wholesome, wholegrain oats are a great way to obtain fibre in the diet, they are so diverse and can be adapted to any flavour. We need to digest to be able to eliminate toxins from the body and further more enable energy regulation through the body. All the goodness we absorb through our diet “Proteins, Carbs, Fats plus our Vitamins and Minerals” are all absorbed and dependant on each other via our digestion.
- Combine this with the benefits of Cranberries, Rhubarb and Apples, all obtaining a good natural dose of Vitamin C helps give our bodies a kick of immune fighting properties and natural sweetness. Rhubarb is high in natural dietary fibre and has been linked to aiding in digestion and help easing neural concentration, with the added citrusy sweetness of cranberries, these guys pack a large punch of immunity, help decrease blood pressure and are also a great way to limit UTI’s.
- This breakfast inhibits all the goodness you need to look after yourself both internally and the energy you need externally. If you don’t eat it all simply keep in a sealed jar in the fridge. Serve the oats as a bircher and the compote as a sweet wholesome topping to sweets or any sweet meal in general.
Ingredients to add to your shopping list:
1 cup organic rolled oats
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 teaspoon fresh vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 stalks organic rhubarb
1 pack of fresh or frozen organic cranberries 3 large red organic apples chopped skin on 1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup filtered water
- To make the compote wash the rhubarb and chop the stems into about 3cm long pieces.
- Chop the leaves of the rhubarb and use only the red part not the green
- Wash and dice the apples into about roughly 2 cm cubes.
- Heat a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Add in the cranberries, rhubarb, apples and lemon juice.
- Continue to stir over a high heat until the fruit begins to break down then slowly add the water.
- Add in the cinnamon, reduce to a medium heat and stir every few minutes for the next 20 minutes.
- To make the oats combine all other ingredients into another saucepan and allow to simmer on a medium heat, continually stirring for about 8-10 minutes until the oats have soften and you have smooth creamy oats.
- Using a large for or potato masher, remove the compote from the heat and begin to mash the fruit together until combined.
- Assemble your breakfast by layering the coconut oats, with a layer on of the compote then topping with a sprinkle of muesli, nuts, seeds and some toasted coconut!
TA – DA !
Nothing better to start your day ‘Cool, calm and collected’ – do we have a VOSS infused water to set you up for any day!
Orange, Blueberry and Lavender ice cubed infused VOSS water
Ingredients to add to your shopping list:
1 large orange sliced into rounds
1/4 cup fresh lavender leaves
1 punnet fresh blueberries
1 VOSS water
- Prepare all ingredients as directed.
- To make the ice cubes, wash the lavender “leaves” this is the part connected to the stem not the leaves from the lavender flower place the leaves in an empty ice cube tray and cover with filtered water, then place in the freezer to set.
- Once the ice cubes have set, combine all ingredients into a VOSS water
- Then set in the fridge for the flavours to thrive!
- Keep in the fridge to keep the fruits looking nice and fresh if you don’t finish it all at once.
By the end of the year, everything becomes very fast paced, we have parties, work, meetings, celebrations as well as non stop drinking and eating, which can lead us to feeling a bit spaced out and run down.
Lavender has been used for centuries as well as present day, as a natural “relaxer” it’s compounds, scent and even taste provide our bodies with a calming aspect, settling our nerves, which further more makes us sleep better and just be! Lavender has also been used to relieve symptoms of pain.
Combined with the natural vitamin C found in oranges and blueberries, which help promote good immunity, the combined nutritional blend between the lavender and blueberries also have healthy heart attributes as well! Promoting good circulation and good cholesterol in the body which all leads to a happy healthy heart and happy healthy body over all!
For any further information about the above, please don’t hesitate to be in touch!
NEXT WEEK… The ULTIMATE Green Smoothie Bowl!